What’s the first thing you do on Monday morning? Let me guess, think about your to-do list for the day and week? Worry if you’re going to get everything done? Contemplate staying in bed a few more hours?
Put all of those thoughts aside and roll out your yoga mat!
1. Set an intention – At the beginning of class, typically teachers ask you to set an intention for your practice. This could be something personal, something for someone else, or just a spot you want to send a little extra love. When yoga is the first thing you do on Monday, it allows you to set an intention for the entire week. During class this morning with Sara, I dedicated the practice to myself and will not allow myself to get upset or stressed over something I cannot control.
2. Fire up the core – There’s nothing better than a Monday morning detox to wring out the toxins from the weekend. Through a series of twists, you’ll fire up the core and help aid digestion for the week to come. But since you’re all yogis, I know you don’t eat burgers, fries and pizza.
3. Open your heart – By practicing at the start of your week, you’re opening your heart to new possibilities. Sara taught us this morning that the audible “hah” means to open your heart and let love in. Think “aloha!” So when you’re in downward dog, say “hah” and let love in.
4. Burst of energy – Back bends are a calorie-free way to send some extra energy to your body. Yoga poses like camel, bridge and wheel are great ways to send a java jolt to your entire body, preparing yourself for the week.
5. Let go – Yoga is a great way to lose the ego, lose the to-do list and just let go. By doing this first thing on Monday, you’re setting yourself up for success from the very beginning. The hardest part really is making it to your yoga mat, and it’s such an accomplishment to get there on a Monday at 6:30 am.
So what are you doing next Monday?
Hope to see you on your mat at 6:30 am with Sara Packard leading us through a vigorous, yet calming yoga practice. Trust me, there really is nothing better than doing Sun Salutations as the sun is rising at the beginning of the week.